mass transit (sic)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Jun 8 22:18:09 PDT 2002

> In states like California with regimes like Prop 13, the problem is
> even worse. Economic growth with anything other than retail is
> actually a net loser for local government, since it generates more
> demands on local services without the new revenue needed to service
> it.

Except of course in large parts of California you've had soaring property values and lots of real estate turnover, so Prop 13 doesn't look so bad anymore.

In fact, if I wasn't thinking clearly, I'd say the California real estate bubble might be a plot by local governments to raise tax revenues :-)

I switched houses this year, and I am _not_ looking forward to my new tax bill . . .

/jordan