fuel cell cars

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 10 07:59:04 PDT 2002

At 11:19 AM 6/8/2002 -0700, jordan wrote:
> > >cell-schmell - it is still a car - the vehicle for suburban sprawl,
> > >traffic congestion, licensing to move around, expensive maintenance
> > >and repair, kangaroo justice and searches and seizures without a
> > >warrant.
> >
> > It's a delight to have you back, Wojtek.
>
>But he forgot 'the vehicle for your first high school make-out
>sessions, the best seat in the house for a drive-in movie, best dining
>room for a Sonic Burger ...'
>
>Give him a break, he doesn't have a very active imagination about cars.

Imagination has nothing to do with it. My first high school make out session took place in a compartment of a long distance train. The cultural establishments I attended were not drive-ins or burger joints (which you can hardly find in Europe), but "studio" cinema theatres and cafes.

What is more, at the age of 10 I already experienced the freedom of venturing around the city without my parents' permission, courtesy of public transportation. That freedom is denied to scores of suburban teens in this country, who depend on their parents to be taken places.

Unlike many Amerikuns, I associate the car with high cost, high liability, excessive regulations, and restricted mobility. Besides, if I wanted to be a driver, I would not bother going to a graduate school, but ended up at a vo-tech training course instead.

wojtek