is the New Economy a fad

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon Jun 10 09:55:46 PDT 2002

At 03:20 PM 06/08/2002 -0400, Doug wrote:
>So I guess artificial light was a mistake. How far back do we go? Oil
>lamps? All those poor whales. Candles? Human-centric appropriation of
>bee product.
>
>When people say things like this - or "there are too many people in
>the world" or "cities are unsustainable" - I wish they would say what
>they propose to do about these presumably fundamental problems.

That's not fair Doug. Chuck is not advocating a return to the stone age; he was taking part in a debate about the relative costs of public transit and he was reminding everyone that there are huge costs associated with some of our modern amenitites, which, when taken into account, make spending on public transportation relatively cheaper than private transport.

Joanna