Male-female wage gap, managers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 10 10:49:43 PDT 2002

>Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>>At 05:27 PM 6/5/2002 -0400, Doug wrote:
>>
>>>Right. Women choose to have babies, and men choose to let them
>>>take care of them. Is it too identarian to wonder about this
>>>notion of "choice"?
>>
>>This is one of the possible reasons of the wage gap I cited. Its
>>purpose was to demonstrate that wage gap does not have to be a
>>result of discrimination by employer. It can result from a wide of
>>factors, such as societal expectations and gender roles which shape
>>individual job choices (cf. Reskin & Roos, _Job cues, Gender
>>cues_). The point is to account for that complexity instead of
>>using out-of-context information to promote an intellectual
>>commodity or an ideology. The "human capital" approach is
>>ideology-driven crap, but so is much of the "discrimination" claims.
>
>Yup. I've read quite a few discrim studies, and I know that you have
>to take all kinds of factors into account - job titles, education,
>experience, industry, etc. etc. You're right that just using raw
>numbers like that is misleading. But accounting for differences in
>education, experience, job titles, etc. assumes away a lot of the
>"pre-market" discrim that tracks people into occupations by gender
>(e.g., voc ed classes that encourage men to be plumbers and women
>beauticians), or the lack of child care options that hit women much
>harder than men, etc. That's discrim too, but of a harder to measure
>sort.
>
>Doug

I suppose that women will have a chance to become equal to men in wage, status, etc. only when women virtually become men: avoid pregnancy, eschew care-giving, assume attitudes encouraged in men, etc.

BTW, the report on the "glass ceiling" that started this thread isn't about discrimination by employers alone. See it at <http://www.equality2020.org/glass.pdf>. -- Yoshie