salaries

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Mon Jun 10 11:17:53 PDT 2002

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> I'm not against making salaries public, especially up in the
> "professional staff" range: it might very well be that person A is
> worth $100k to the company and person B is worth $65k. In fact, if I

I'm not sure how it is in technical writing, but in software development the top performers are hugely more productive than the average performers. As well, there's a certain degree of risk tolerance: can you trust so and so to go on risky projects?

Even if A and B are doing exactly the same job and producing the product right now, A may be worth more because they can be reassigned to a difficult piece of work, while B can't be for whatever reason.

That said, this may also be a matter of discrimination. I'm sure an employer or three has used this to justify sex discrimination with respect to salary. I do believe that categorical discrimination is intrinsically wrong; is discrimination on the basis of individual characteristics moral?

Marco