Insight needed: why is Bill Maher such an ass?

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 11 04:36:45 PDT 2002

My co-worker, Rania Masri, is going on Politically Incorrect tonight (for a show to be aired Wednesday). She's Arab-American and has a decidedly progressive position on the Palestinian question.

This appears to be Maher's worst topic. I saw him on Larry King claiming that "there are no such things as Palestinians" and generally placing himself to the right of Ariel Sharon on Palestinian rights. I don't like Maher in general, but can anyone offer insight as to why he's especially such an ass on this issue?

The other guests on the show are Al Franken (don't know his views on the Palestinian question), a right-wing nut from New York, and ... William Shatner. Rania expects to be a lonely voice. Sanctions against Iraq are another possible topic (Rania has led efforts nationally against sanctions).

Any ideas?

Chris Kromm Keep your eyes on the prize.