Poll in Palestine

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Tue Jun 11 22:41:43 PDT 2002

Wow, that's the most dishonest piece of reporting spin I've ever seen in my life.

You get the story:

>JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A majority of Palestinians
>believe the aim of their 20-month-old uprising should
>be to eliminate Israel and not just end Israeli
>occupation in the West Bank and Gaza Strip ( news -
>web sites), an opinion poll released Tuesday showed.

by asking the question:

>Fifty-one percent of people surveyed said the end
>result of the uprising should be "liberating all of
>historic Palestine," referring to British-mandate
>Palestine, part of which was recognized as Israel in
>1948.

Ignoring the fact that it's fundamentally dishonest to refer to "a majority" if the figure is actually 51% with a 3% error margin (this is bad, but everybody does it), they have asked a very complicated question and assumed that everybody knows every single piece of historical context, then assuming that they are committed to the worst possible interpretation.

Come on, how many of us, before breakfast, would have worked out that "liberating all of historic Palestine" was code for driving the Jews into the sea?

dd