Fwd: [ASDnet] Views of the Jews

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 12 07:20:20 PDT 2002

------- Start of forwarded message ------- From: con1453 at aol.com To: asdnet at igc.topica.com Reply-To: asdnet at igc.topica.com Subject: Fwd: [ASDnet] Views of the Jews Date: 6/11/02 10:25:25 PM

One late-nineteenth-century morning, two Viennese Jews meet at the rack of bamboo newspaper holders in their neighborhood cafe. Goldstein reaches for the leading liberal daily; Rosenzweig takes a scurrilous anti-Semitic tabloid.

"Good God, Herr Rosenzweig," says Goldstein, "what are you picking up that garbage for?"

"I'll tell you," Rosenzweig answers. "In your paper, I read about old Jewish men murdered in Romania, about Jewish women raped by Cossacks in Russia, about Captain Dreyfus unjustly accused in France. In this one, I read that Jews control the banks and stock exchanges, that we hoard sacks of gold in our cellars, that every government on earth trembles at our orders. I prefer good news."

People's attention is scarce. Do not abuse it.