Padilla

W. Kiernan wkiernan at concentric.net
Thu Jun 13 03:57:16 PDT 2002

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Justin - then how would you prevent another 9/11?

But this arrest has absolutely nothing to do with forestalling 9/11 redux, instead it's supposed to distract the voting public from contemplating the fact that John Ashcroft was warned off commercial airline flights last August and you weren't, and that the Moron couldn't be distracted from his Texas ranch vacation to read the FBI warnings, and that the various gangs of spooks were more concerned with keeping each other off their turf than in fighting the Bombs-for-Allah gang. And what we're definitely not supposed to think about is that Zbigniew Brzezinski and William Colby set these God-lovers up in the first place.

I saw a piece on TV the other night - an animated cartoon, actually - showing how a "dirty bomb" supposedly would work. It ran through a scenario where some eeevil terrists set off a truck bomb in downtown Washington D.C. loaded with, get this now, four thousand pounds of heavily radioactive rubbish (the scenarists were deliberately vague as to whether this imaginary payload consisted of hospital/industrial isotopes like radiocesium and radiocobalt, or spent fuel rods stolen from a poorly-guarded nuclear power plant). In this lurid scenario, of course, lots n lots of people get killed... But where in Hell would terrists get two entire tons of highly radioactive stuff? Burglarize every hospital in the entire country? Do a smash-and-grab raid on a power reactor site and hope nobody notices?

The whole "dirty bomb" story smells like the dumpster behind the fish house. We know too little to be entirely sure, but on first impression I don't believe a word of it. Maybe two percent true, like possibly this diabolical secret agent Padilla, his name tattooed on his arm, did actually meet once or twice with the baddies, and the rest is hogwash.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net