HBO labor doc, "American Standoff"

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Jun 13 17:02:43 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com>

>The Overnite strike was ripe for revealing similar issues involved in the
>Teamsters in the context of the TDU-Hoffa tension, but Kopple just didn't
>seem to reach as far as she could have. I'm not sure why.

-Now let's take those high standards and apply them to the Democratic Party. I don't think I've ever -seen anything so pro labor on cable TV, certainly not on PBS. Also, -it didn't come off as mere anti-corporate propaganda.

Bizarre.

Political processes usually are not subject to aesthetic reviews (remember the adage about making sausages).

Of course Kopple's piece was a great pro-union piece and HBO deserves credit for showing it. But the film just didn't have the effect of her other work; I can't believe you think this is even in the same league as her work on Harlan County or American Dream?

--- Nathan Newman