Padilla

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jun 14 07:24:50 PDT 2002

At 12:53 PM 6/14/2002 -0700, Bill wrote:

>It is unsafe to assume, as you are clearly assuming, that the reason the
>government wants to lock this person up without trial is a valid reason.
>Unsafe for for the civil liberties of everyone, but also unsafe from the
>point of view of the security of society from terrorists.

I think you are assume too much about my posting. I was not claiming any guilt or the lack thereof on the part of Mr. Padilla, or wrongdoing or the lack thereof on the part of the prosecutors in his case, because I (and for that matter anyone on this list) do not have sufficient information to make such claims. All I was saying that in the aftermath of 9/11 we need to re-evaluate or views on civil liberties and search for a reasonable compromise between liberty and security.

wojtek