Padilla

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 14:26:40 PDT 2002

> > Justin,
> >Were you there during the uproar over Judge Baer's decision a few years
> >back? If so, what di the judge's think of the decision and the public
> >flogging he took (I think Lott led the charge)?
> > Justin Schwartz wrote:
>
>Remind me. jks

The story: Judge Baer is the New York federal judge who is catching a lot of flak right now for having thrown out the police seizure of eighty pounds of coke and heroin for lack of probable cause.

Oh, yeah, that was 1996. I was in law school. Baer backed down later, too bad. If that's the best the the right wing can do for denouncing liberal federal judges who let loose bad guys on technicalities, it's not very common.

I know of a case in which guys who was busted in an illegal search with a moderate quantity of narcotics had the evidence suppressed by a state court judge. (He's suing the cops for violations of his civil rights in conducting the search.) (This is all public information, and I'm not saying whose case this is or how it might come out.) So maybe it happens more in state courts. I hear people get acquitted there too. Doesn't happen here.

jks