Padilla

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sat Jun 15 16:38:08 PDT 2002

At 12:29 PM -0400 14/6/02, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Let me reverse that question. Should a person with a criminal record, known to have contacts with terrorist organizations, be released from custody on a technicality?

If by "on a technicality" you mean should a person be released from custody merely because there is no evidence that they have committed any offense, then yes. But you would have to give me an example of what you mean by "technicality", I have noticed it means different things to different people.

> In my book, taking a serious real life risk to uphold a principle is fundamentalism, pure and simple.

It appears you don't comprehend the difference between the rule of law and arbitrary power. The former is based on the concept that sanctions are only imposed by society for breach of existing social rules. Arbitrary power is when someone is punished for doing something that was not considered unlawful.

Your attempt to portray standing up for the rule of law as "fundamentalism" is pretty weird.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas