Thing I just sent

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Jun 17 05:45:21 PDT 2002

Regarding the piece on developments in the Russian left, I should explain a few things since I'm sure 90% of the people on this list don't know about some of the groups mentioned (not all of which are left in the Western understanding of the term, and some of which are pretty nasty).

The NBP is Edward Limonov's National Bolshevik Party.

Viktor Anpilov is a really over-the-top nationalist extremist who edits the red-brown newspaper Zavtra (tomorrow).

Eurasionism is the idea espoused by the National Bolshevik Party, among lots of other people, that, in an almost mystical way, the peoples of Eurasia form a distinct civilization and way of life, and therefore Russia should solidify its relations with Central Asia, of which it is understood as being a part. It is a view also afhered to by pretty high numbers of Russian Orthodox clergy, rabbis and Muslim Imams, and a large segment of the Russian elite. This is in total contradiction to the pan-Slavic extremist movements.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal