Alterman on Chomsky

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Mon Jun 17 15:32:49 PDT 2002

Brad De Long typed

>To think of Faurisson as an "apolitical liberal of some sort" shows an extraordinary failure of insight. I don't think Chomsky's writing the preface for Faurisson's book reveals that Chomsky wants to see Jews bbqed on a large scale. I do think it shows evidence of a high degree of nut-boyness.

As far as I know Noam did not write an introduction. He defended Faurissons's right to publish and stay in the University system on free speech grounds. Some of Noam's writing was included in the Faurisson book without Noam's permission, as an "introduction". And I seriously doubt he ever referred to Faurisson as an "apolitical liberal" - unless he did it ironically. (Noam does have a rather heavy-handed sense of irony.)

So on this one you will need to drop the nut-boyness accusation.

>I've concluded that Chomsky goes down on the Khmer Rouge rap, however...

Don't think so; but we probably don't want to spend the time to go round the mulberry bush on this one again.