FW: The anti-imperialism of fools

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 17 16:34:36 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> >Does not surprise me. The politics of protest nowadays is an
> >adolescent fashion statement - picked mainly for its capacity to
> >piss off the parents.
>
> Oh yeah? So why are so many of today's activists the offspring of 60s
> activists?

My daughter hadn't been politically active for over 20 years, but it was at her initiative that both of us went to A20. I don't know what secret motives she might have had, but it's pretty certain she wasn't trying to piss me off! :-)

Carrol

P.S. I do remember complaining back in 1969 that some SDS members had a tendency to confuse their parents with the empire, but it was only _some_, not all or even most.

P.S. 2. Bebel's remark on anti-semitism being the sociialism of fools was clever and, at the time, on the mark. I've yet to see a would-be clever variation on it that didn't reveal the speaker to be the fool in the case.