Labor now supports media merger, Net dereg (fwd)

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Jun 17 16:36:31 PDT 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Nathan Newman wrote:

> Wait a second-- we can do humpty dumpty with words, but to say that
> "profits" are social and psychological starts to empty any analysis of
> material capitialism.

Only if one dehistoricizes the social and psychological the same way the bourgeoisie dehistoricizes the economic. The point is to set the subject *and* object in motion, simultaneously - the signal lesson of micropolitics and identity politics.

> I know you aren't opposed to union gains

I work for SEIU.

> It's not that video games are not cultural product worth analyzing-- I'm
> just not sure any cultural consumption is that prime an issue without a
> direct connection to actual movements for social change.

Culture is never directly connected to anything at all. That's why it's able to resist the totality, even momentarily, and say things its authors never consciously intended or understood. The demand that everything be directly accessible, fungible, connected, plugged into the circuits of the total system is as false as the demand for total, unremitting, undifferentiated dissent.

-- Dennis