Alterman on Chomsky

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Tue Jun 18 07:46:24 PDT 2002

Jordan>

>> It wasn't copyrighted.
>

> No such thing, unless it was explicitly placed in the public domain.

OK - badly phrase. Noam does not ENFORCE his copyrights. Which in practice is the same as not having a copyright.

> In which case, who is bitching about it?

A speech or some work of Noam's was used without his permission by a holocaust denier. We are bitching about the claim that Noam purposely wrote an introducition for the book. What happened was that , as I said it was used without permission. Noam had no way of knowing until afterwords - because it was in France and a fairly obscure book. He chose not to sue because he is a free speech absoluteist. I note that he also does not sue for libel or slander , something that is taken advantage of a great deal.