Labor now supports media merger, Net dereg (fwd)

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Jun 18 08:07:57 PDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 at 10:38am Nathan Newman wrote:

> Me-- I miss big bad Ma Bell, which benefitted consumers
> tremendously for decades. Productivity was high, prices
> fell continuously and the poorest customers benefitted
> most clearly. Competition has brought few benefits.

On this we agree. I would love to see a REGULATED monopoly, but not the oligopoly that exisits now.

DSL is not a tarriffed service and the RBOC's only began to provide it when they couldn't put off the ILEC's any longer. So in this sense, competition did work.

> So given the complete lack of evidence of any benefits
> from competition, I will hail the expansion of union
> jobs as a progressive gain.

And I'll be happy with the further consolidation of the telecom industry when it is either nationalized or meaningfully re-regulated.

-- no Onan

Undefeated, everybody goes home