Labor now supports media merger, Net dereg (fwd)

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jun 18 09:29:46 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "budge" <budge at el-pleasant.org>

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 at 10:38am Nathan Newman wrote: -Well I'm not poor, but I'm rural, and I will never have -cable where I live (due to lack of density), and AFAICT, -will never get DSL either as long as: a) ILEC's remain w/o -competition, or b) DSL becomes a tariffed service.

Actually, the Tauzin Bill had an amendment attached proposed by Bobby Rush and Tom Sawyer that requires 100% rollout of DSL to all urban and rural homes as a requirement for the elimination of competition mandates. I think that's a much better approach.

> And if the Baby Bell unionized workers have won out over
> the non-union financial speculator competitors, I say
> hurrah.

Financial speculator competitors? What kind of straw figure -is this? You call people who build a network, install -equipment, and provide service financial speculators?

Given the IPO rise and fall of a lot of them, yep.

It's not that the Bells do nothing wrong-- they try to get away with whatever they can and I'm all for regulation-- but I am unimpressed by trying to make heroes of the telecom speculators trying to get into the business.

-- Nathan Newman