FW: The anti-imperialism of fools

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Jun 18 12:17:58 PDT 2002

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 02:14 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> At 01:57 PM 6/18/2002 -0400, Doug wrote:
>> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>>
>>> Is not the "struggle for Palestinian liberation" (which includes,
>>> inter alia, blowing up school buses) overwhelmingly supported by the
>>> members of this list?
>>
>> For a social scientist, you assume a lot of things without any
>> evidence. I support the "struggle for Palestainian liberation," but I
>> think blowing up school buses is repulsive. As is bulldozing houses,
>> of course.
>

> Unfortunately, the folks who do the struggle also blow up the buses or
> support those who blow them - so I have a real problem separating the
> two. What is more, I cannot in clear conscience support nationalism or
> religious ideology in any form. I think we are pretty much in
> agreement on this principle, so I wonder how come you do not support a
> nationalist movement that bulldozes houses and grabs land in the name
> of religious ideology, but do support a movement that blows buses and
> demands land in the name of ethnic identity/religious ideology. I
> support neither.

riiiiight. just like "the troubles" in northern ireland. no right, no wrong, can't we all just get along? here the violence results in a, dare i say it?, knee-jerk response to throw up one's hands and say, "a plague on both your houses," an excuse for not even worrying about justice or about the relationship of the violence to its causes.

how convenient.