US beats Mexico in World Cup

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Tue Jun 18 12:57:45 PDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Jim Westrich wrote:
> the US had 1 I believe (Reyna and Friedel plays 1st division Brit football
> right?). Mexican players are generally in the Mexican pro league (Futbol
> Mexicano) which pays higher salaries the MLS in the US.

It might also be that the european-based players play a lot more often and havne't had a long break prior to the World Cup tournament. While you'd think that would be a bonus, and it is with respect to level of play, too frequent competition or for too long detracts significantly from performance.

As most Canadians know, this is also a factor at the hockey worlds.

Marco