Michael Tigar

Randy Steindorf grsteindorf at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 18 13:07:35 PDT 2002

>>>Chuck was
>>> saying that all right wingers in govt were mediocre idiots. I listed a
>>>few I
>>> thought were pretty smart.
>>>

>>My own feeling, not developed in any detail, is that all judgements in
>>terms of intellectual capacity (low or high as the case might be) belong
>>in the same order if not the same genus as conspiracy theories. They
>>turn the focus away from social relations and history to focus on an "x"
>>that is neither measurable nor even very definable.
>
>I've got to say I agree with you on this. Justin, you admire this abstract
>quality of intelligence outside of what it does too much for me. So what if
>these fucks are smart? That makes them worse.
>
>Doug

Marx said that class rule becomes more stable and dangerous as the class that is ruling is able to assimilate the best minds from the opposing class.

Isn't this what universities and academics do? I saw some figures that showed that 4/5 of college graduates go into professional or managerial positions in large corporations. The cream of high school graduates from working class backgrounds tend to be shunted into managing the corporations owned in part by their class opponents. In the same vein, the working class needs to assimilate critical/utopian opponents of capitalism (such as Chomsky) to strengthen its opposition and make it more dangerous. The problem is that just as managers from working class backgrounds may turn against the owners of the means of production, the critical/utopians may turn against the working-class at crucial junctures. For example, refusing to accept Marx and Lenin's arguments for a dictatorship of the proletariat.

grs

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx