more rollback of ADA

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Jun 18 14:11:03 PDT 2002

>At 09:35 AM 6/18/2002 -0700, Marta wrote:
>
>>Now imagine if you were arrested and there was no back seat in the
>>patrol car so the police put you on top of the car and strapped you
>>on with your own belt and while driving to the station you fell off
>>the car, injured yourself and had to have surgery. Would you want
>>the police to do this to the next victim they arrested?
>

>No I would not. An ideally, I would like to see these officers
>being punished for that, e.g. by serving a jail term, losing their
>jobs, pensions, savings, etc. I would even like to see a law that
>committing a crime or a violation the line of official duty is an
>aggravating circumstance and calls for a more stringent punishment.
>But I would not want to see the taxpayers to pick up the tab for the
>misdeeds of these officers - which is what I argued.
>
>Wojtek

Ok but the officers in the Barnes case were using a patrol car which was not accessible to wheelchair users. Do you think there was an accessible van parked back at headquarters and they just refused to go get it? The officers are trained by the system, the police institution. If they had an accessible van available to them (which I doubt) and had received training on how to treat disabled persons they arrest then I could agree with you that the officers are at fault. I don't think that was the case here but I don't know those details.

Marta -- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org