World Cup misinformation...

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Tue Jun 18 15:16:12 PDT 2002

"O. Hatteras" wrote:

> 3.) The flame-outs of the "big countries" (France,
> Italy, Argentina) has little to do with them having
> "pampered" players (virtually every World Cup team,
> even the small ones, is made up of incredibly
> well-paid athletes) and everything to do with the
> injuries to key French players, Argentina playing in
> the "group of death" and Italy having to play South
> Korea in South Korea.

although France was hurt due to Zidane's injure...the team was clearly suffering "diminishing returns". It was expected France would harldy make it through the series....Argentina..well.. I am uruguayan so I know that my "bros" across the river felt they were the champions before playing...note that their team has been playing for more than 7 years (10 out of 11 players who jumped to the field from the begining of each game also played in 1998).and won NOTHING EVER.....The entire country looked at the team as something that could make them forget the dramma they live each day...Finally...Italy...how selfish!! they could have beaten Korea duirng the first 90 minutes but the coach just played conservative!! they paid the price and they deserve it!! England will be the champion!!-jj