Fwd: A Proposal To Labor

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Tue Jun 18 16:01:15 PDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:56:48 -0400

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> forwarded

[any thoughts on this?]

<snip>

>So how, under present circumstances, can unions then increase membership? Richard Freeman and Nation contributing editor Joel Rogers argue in the June 24, 2002 issue of the The Nation for a change in labor's basic definition of membership making it open to workers without union majorities at their workplace, and organized along occupational or regional lines. They believe such sorts of membership, which labor has used effectively in the past, can powerfully combine with Internet outreach to new members. They call the new mix "Open Source Unionism," and claim that OSU could increase union membership, quickly, by millions if seriously tried.

>For the fuller case for Open Source Unionism, read Freeman and Rogers, "A Proposal to American Labor" now.

>Currently available at:

>http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020624&c=1&s=rogers

I'll let someone more qualified than I comment on the substance; It seem a good idea to me. But one thing I hate is the name. The "Open Source" movement and trade unionism do not seem analogous. Nor does elimination of intellectual property rights seem a valid analogy to opening up Union membership. And the name seems faddish, with emotional appeal to a very narrow segment. In short, I like the idea - hate the marketing...