lbo-talk-digest V1 #6329

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Tue Jun 18 22:53:53 PDT 2002

At 10:49 PM 6/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>"The politics of protest nowadays is an adolescent
>fashion statement - picked mainly for its capacity to piss off the
>parents."

No - just my observation of today's counterculture infatuated with celebration of violent thugs advocating or actually breaking the social norms. There is a thug for every political identity group, from the neo-nazi skinhead, to the gangsta rapper, to the Palestinian suicide bomber.

wojtek =====================

Yeah the anarchists sound real enthusiastic about working with the neo-nazis.................Geez a lot of parents are going to be telling the kids they're grounded.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lysander Zimmerman" <LAMZ at sympatico.ca> To: "a-infos" <a-infos-en at ainfos.ca> Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 10:01 PM Subject: (en) Warning: Neo-nazis posing as anti-G8 activists

> A - I N F O S N E W S S E R V I C E
> http://www.ainfos.ca/
>
> Just a heads-up......something else to look out for at the upcoming G8
> protests. This exact same tactic was used in Genoa when 600 neo-nazis
> collaborated with police to justify a brutal crackdown on left-wing
> political dissent.
> > From: Activist Network <activist at activist.ca>
> >
> > This is a heads-up that a neo-nazi group, called the National
> > Alliance, operating throughout North America including Alberta has
> > sent out a press release and posted a website under the name of
> > "Anti-Globalism Action Network (AGAN)" in advance of the upcoming G8
> > Summit. The idea that these boneheads are in some way part of a
> > "broad coalition of often contradictory interests" as indicated in
> > their release is as insulting as it is ludicrous.
> >
> > Since the intent of their actions is obviously to attract attention,
> > and to distract and discredit the efforts of progressive activists,
> > have not included their website url and encourage people to give
them
> > the attention they deserve, which is nothing. Please be aware of
this
> > group in preparations for activities in Calgary and/or Kananaskis
and
> > the potential for infiltration and provocation.
> >
> > For informational purposes, I'm including the text of their "press
> > release" which, I must clearly state, does not reflect the views of
> > the actual activists working on issues around the G8. Feel free to
> > not read it.
> >
> > >Press Release:
> > >
> > >CYCLE OF VIOLENCE WILL CONTINUE AT G8 SUMMIT
> > >
> > >The Anti-Globalism Action Network (AGAN), an ad hoc collection of
> > >anti-globalism activists, predicts that the violence surrounding
past G8
> > >meetings will erupt once again in Kananaskis. The failure of
Canada, and
> > >other Western countries, to address the root causes of the
protests,
> rather
> > >than just their symptoms, ensures that the cycle of violent protest
and
> > >repressive counter-measure will continue.
> > >
> > >Western governments, whose true loyalties lie with the financial
elite
> and
> > >special-interest groups, give lip service to democracy; yet respond
with
> > >tear-gas and rubber bullets when the citizenry attempts to
participate in
> > >the political process. The Canadian people would be much better
served by
> > >government that invests in environmental protection, national
> sovereignty,
> > >and measures to curb the growing power of both multi-national
> corporations
> > >and media oligarchies, than in a government which serves those
whose
> > >ultimate aim is our subjugation on a global plantation.
> > >
> > >Responsibility for the cycle of violence does not lie exclusively
with
> > >Western governments; the media shares part of the blame. The lust
by the
> > >media for sensational sound bytes from tear-gased teenagers is
nothing
> less
> > >than fetishistic. The power of the media lies in part in its
ability to
> > >masquerade as neutral and independent observers, when in fact the
growing
> > >concentration of media control has resulted in the media becoming a
> vested
> > >member of the establishment.
> > >
> > >The movement against globalization has assembled a broad coalition
of
> often
> > >contradictory interests. The lack of hierarchical leadership with a
clear
> > >political program has created a void that is being filled by more
> > >hierarchical elements.
> > >
> > >"You'd be surprised at the diversity found within the
Anti-globalism
> > >movement," says Anthony Phillips of AGAN. "The active participation
of
> one
> > >organization in particular should send shock-waves throughout the
> > >establishment, as they break all the stereotypes of the
anti-globalism
> > >movement being strictly a preserve of the traditional
radical-left."