FW: The anti-imperialism of fools

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:03:43 PDT 2002

>I think it goes beyond the means. I find the goal of establishing an
>ethnic/religious state reprehensible. If the Palestinians were struggling
>for a secular, multi-ethnic, equal opportunity state of Israel (e.g. as the
>Civil Rights activists did in this country), my sympathies would be
>different. But an Islamic state or an Arafatesque dictatorship? No,
>thanks.

The overwhelming majority of Palestinians are opposed to an Islamic state. Didn't you read the survey published on this list fairly recently?

jks

>This, btw, also applies to Chechnya, Basque,

The Basques want a religious totalitarian state? That's news to me.

>Tibet, Kashmir, Kosovo

And the Kosovans? Their movement has many defects, but this isn;t one of them.

>and similar nationalist-separatist movements.

How similar? For a sociologist you sure paint with a broad brush!

jks