what is imperialism anyway?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 19 09:18:15 PDT 2002

Because of its sheer size, an elephant can cause much more damage in a china shop than, say, a snake. Does that mean that elephant is more aggressive than a snake? To answer this question, we need to analytically separate the effects of the size of these animals from those of their natural dispositions.

The same applies to imperialism. Because of its sheer size and resources, whatever the US does will have repercussions around the world - just like an elephant moving in a china shop. But imperialism is more than having repercussions - its an intent to exert influence outside a country's borders. And it would be utterly naive to presume that even the smallest countries do not have such an intent.

In that context, is the US more imperialist than other countries - if we control for the size of the country?

wojtek