Alterman on Chomsky

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 11:04:10 PDT 2002

I have a couple of questions about the following quote from NC: "I have nothing to say here about the work of Robert Faurisson or his critics, of which I know very little, or about the topics they address, concerning which I have no special knowledge."

No. 1: Do you believe NC when he says he knew very little? No. 2: Imagine someone on this List saying, hmm, "I support Pat Robertson's right to free speech, though I know nothing about what he says about homosexuality being fronwed upon by the Bible." And then confronted with Robertson's rabid commentary about how homosexuals caused 9-11 etc, could someone on this list say, but I did not know that about him when I signed on to support him? Such a list member would be vilified for not looking depper into the views of Robertson BEFORE signing a petition. That is independent of Robertson's right to speech, which I agree are inviolate, so long as they do not incite immediate violence. Chomsky's sins (in my view) are that (1) he acts shocked that people condemn his association with such views and (2) he pleads ignorance as some sort of a defense when he, because of his tenacious abilities to get at truths far better hidden that some jack-ass's anti-semitism, is not entitled to that defense. Chomsky can sign any petition for free sheech he wants and he can be as pure about it as he wants. But you do not get to escape the criticism that comes from that association. With that said, I do not think Noam is an anti-semite, just a man too proud to say I kinda messed up, though when compared with the transgressions of the men and women I uncover, I hope you can let it pass. To those that defend Noam on this issue (that he did *nothing* wrong), can you point me to something that you think qualifies as a mistake by Noam? I am not interested in debating whether he is an anti-semite because I do not believe it.