US beats Mexico in World Cup

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Wed Jun 19 11:52:40 PDT 2002

Ahh! One of the few lists where a Holocaust revisionism thread is right next to a World Cup thread. Thanks Doug!

I stayed up to watch the U.S.-Mexico match and wasn't disappointed. I was rooting for the U.S. team, although I tend not to root for Americans in international competitions. My motivation for rooting for the U.S. has to do with the way football is reviled by the average American sports fan. Football maybe a competitive sport, but it is one of the most international of sports. American sports fans like to believe that they are exceptional and have a monopoly on the "best" sports league. If you listen to sports radio, you'll constantly hear put downs of football (along with misogynistic dismissals of womens sports).

One thing I noticed was that some of the sports commentators have been saying that the Mexican team played dirty. I'd say that both teams played physical and somewhat dirty. The match did include 10 yellow cards after all, evenly split between the two teams.

Looking forward to that U.S.-Senegal matchup in the final.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)