Help Janitors at Yahoo!

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jun 19 12:14:58 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anders Schneiderman" <SCHNEIDA at seiu.org>

**Justice for Janitors at Yahoo!**

Over the past two months, janitors who clean the Yahoo! office in San Jose, California, have been the target of an intense campaign of fear and intimidation in response to their attempts to raise wages, secure health care, and have a voice at work by joining the Service Employees International Union.

Most janitors at Yahoo! earn about $16,000 a year and have no health insurance for themselves and their families.

"I feel bad when I walk around Yahoo!," says Francisco Casteneda, Yahoo! janitor. "I can see that Yahoo! has money, but they don't ensure that we are paid well, and we don't have health care for our families."

** GET INVOLVED **

-Send a letter to Yahoo! CEO Terry Semel and ask that Yahoo's cleaning sub-contractor, Team Services, meets industry standards and follows federal labor law. Yahoo! janitors want to provide high quality standards and services, but they also want respect on the job. http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/boohooyahoo

-Tell your friends about the janitors' efforts. http://www.unionvoice.org/join-forward.tcl?domain=Yahoo1877

-Need more info? Check out www.BooHooYahoo.com -- a site recently launched by the janitors to dramatize their efforts to secure decent wages and basic benefits.

Thanks for your help!