Plato's Republic

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 19 14:12:03 PDT 2002

(The _Republic_ is still my favorite book -- but there is
>no doubt it is by The Enemy.)

Do tell, why is it your favorite book? I used to teach it, but haven't read it now for 15, maybe 17 years (gaak). And I have to confess that it reading The Apology of Socrates that got my interested in philosophy in the first place. But in my more recent incarnations, I thought that Plato was inferior to Aristotle; and I wouldn't take the whole of Plato's moral philosophyt, so fara s I understand it, for two pages of the Nicomachean Ethics. I wouldn't list any work of either either as my fav even in philosophy and social theory, certainly not while Hegel's Phenomenology, Marx's Capital, or Lukacs' HCC are around. On beyond philosophy of social theory: more favorite than Milton or Shakespeare or Goethe or Dante or Chaucer or Homer? I mean let's get real here.

jks