Plato's Republic

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Thu Jun 20 01:24:34 PDT 2002

Chuck Grimes:

it might also be worth the argument to consider Dostoevsky, particularly in The Brothers Karamazov. (I might be remembering this wrong--its been years.) The brothers and the father embody what D considered broad themes of Russian character where the father was the crumbling (often drunk--Yelsin look-alike?) authoritarian, and rotted traditional values patriarch, Ivan the westernized self-hating intellectual with a mean streak, Dimitri the romantic bear, full of life, poetry, blustery, sometimes bully, but basically good some where down the list, and Alexy loving, sweet natured, socially concerned---mystical and foolish. And there's a demented or at least epiletic illegitimate in there some where too, but I forget where he fits (Ivan seems to keep him around like a pet dog).

Me:

I am extremely loathe to engage in broad cultural generalizations, but a very large number of Russians do fit into onr or another of these four categories. It's telling by the way that Dos. only calls Alexei using the diminutive of his name, Alyosha, emphasizing his childlikeness.

The fifth brother you refer to is Smerdyakov. His name in Russian means "smells like death."

Chris Doss The Russia Journal