Plato's Republic

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 08:45:34 PDT 2002

They arent bad examples for me-they might seem like it to you perhaps given your anglo-american legal/political background-and in fact they were not protected as you say simply in all the cases to which I refered. The point was that liberal society can make these decisions-it just so happens that they may simply reflect a certain group's particular conception over others and that is not "principled" in any sense which can be defended other than we have no other option than to privilege one conception over another.

They were resolved in at least 3 very different ways in each of the 3 areas owing to considerations of what it would be "reasonable" to do and by taking considerations entirely unrelated to any principle that could be grounded and applied consistantly. So if by rule of law you mean anything other than pragmatic concerns bounded by a constitutional text, pleaed do tell. For my part, I see some value in it like EP Thompson, but let's not exagerate...