Plato's Republic

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Jun 20 09:01:21 PDT 2002

Tahir: I don't perceive the irrationality in this. Would you care to spell it out for the likes of me?

CG: What I was getting at is that everybody imagines that founding a state or an institution or a political movement is for the purpose of working toward the greater good. But most of these turn out poorly, many turn out to be bad, and quite a few turn really ugly. So the reasoning (the rational) if it is reason, is flawed. Working toward the imagined greater good, might be a mistake. In the Grand Inquisitor, the whole process is laid out as a kind of sick joke using the church as the example, where religious authority ends up jailing its own savior for performing miracles (raising a little girl from the dead) and disturbing the absolute worship of the church as the last authority.

Unfortunately, I have to go to work. More later.

Basically I was tired of reading about the hairs on Chomsky ass. Are they clean, are they really really clean, are there any hidden Klingon's lurking.

Chuck Grimes