Plato's Republic

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 11:51:48 PDT 2002

700

I thought we did that in 1789. I hadn't realized we were constructing everything from scratch. No doubt a liberal state is unpopular. Every fruitcake with a particular conception of the good wants to make the cops enforce it against the unbelievers. That is why the ACLU is hated.

Chuck, I _seriously_ resent your crack about handcuffs. The whoie point of us civil libertarian liberals' liberalism is to keep the cops off our backs for doing stiff that doesn't hurt anyone, or is otherwise important to protect, like political protest.

Eric and Dave, sure, there complications, debates about what's fundamental, hard cases and different ways to decide them. Often particular cases will be quite difficult. That doesn't mean the principle of the thing is hard. It's not, and you agree with it, so why are you arguing?

jks