Plato's Republic

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 15:20:16 PDT 2002

I grew up as a Jew in the '60s South where the public schools taught Jesus Saves. Let me tell you it was a lot of fuin being the class Christ-killer. You can take your class basis and put it where the sun don't shine. There is nothing NOTHING illiberal about telling the public schools that they may not promote a particular religion. Nor is it illiberal to say that public tax money should not be used to promore religiosity. Whom does that coerce? Give me a fucking a break. What's coercive is to have the state support religion--not that it doesn't already through tax braeks. Liberalism is hated because every faantic thinks he knows what's right for everyone else, and making concessions to that isn't going make libearlsim less hated, it's just goingto undermine liberalism. As you know, I don't tolerate Clintonian compromises. Write me down as a hard-line, brass-bottomed, nickle-plated fundamentalsit ACLUnik. I'm proud to be hated for that.

jks