Liberalism

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 16:22:27 PDT 2002

This is true; given enough like-minded persons. There is a difference between saying all is indetereminate and saying that as long as you have general tacit agreement (or acceptance) on certain underlying issues (ie homogeneous populations in a broad sense) then the problems are "managable" When this is not the case, as is quite often the case with inflows of immigrants and different ideologies, there are impositions with which we may both sympathize but can not ground except on pragmatic bases. By the way, this:

"clear enough to be predictable, fairly uniformly applied, and more or less democratically decided"

can be true in the sense I take you to mean and quite consistant with what I am saying. I would not have thought it necessary to go to the crits for this at any rate nor do I deny the difference between the US and Russia-that's why I cited EP Thompson on the law.

> Actually my experience is that most casesa re less
> hard in practice than they are in theory.

In the future looking backward, a great many of those "easy" cases just may "seem" more complicated-perhaps even "wrongly" argued and decided. Perhaps you take much for granted, not unlike Walzer/Rorty for whom our pragmatist conceptions today just happen to accord with late 20th century liberal/democratic capitalist social relations (and usually only in the US).