Human nature

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Jun 21 11:36:03 PDT 2002

At 11:15 PM -0700 19/6/02, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>So what kind of law or state is supposed to rule over the Karamazovs, or for
>that matter the Dorkins, the Coxs, the Browns, the Grimes', the Murrays, the
>Furuhashis', the Sokolowslis, the Schwartzs?

It has always seemed to me that human nature adapts to its circumstances.

Of course the main form of coercion experienced by most people is the economic kind, rather than the political kind. People living in democratic capitalist societies are not ruled by political government alone, but also by the individual capitalists who control our day to day lives.

This daily tyranny is the circumstance most people must adapt to, it is also the environment that shapes our form of government.

Liberal democratic government is probably the best form of government we can expect under those circumstances. So long as it is understood that, given better circumstances, a better form of government would thus be possible.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas

PS: I agree, this is much more interesting than the hairs on Chomsky's arse.