Liberalism and Religion

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 20:15:26 PDT 2002

>I appreciate Justin's argument against religious coercion in schools and
>that is fairly fought in the name of free expression (I am far more
>favorable to that half of the religious clause of the First Amendment) but
>banning all government support for voluntary religious activity, especially
>when done in a multitude of diverse religious schools, does not seem like a
>liberal value. Trying to suppress religion

Since when is failing to fund something the same thing as trying to suppress it? Is the government trsying to suppress my work in analytical legal theory because it does not subsidize that work? Sheesh, Nathan, you are usually better than that.

I actually do not see why the govt should support voluntary religious religious activity to the extent that it does. Religioous institutions are tax exempt, which strikes me as outrageous, taht ought to br more than enough govt support, don't you think?

just seems to encourage a
>counter-reaction looking for similar coercive activity against liberal
>values. It just keeps the cycle going.

Typical Clintonian concessioon, doomed to failure. Give them half a cake, they'll take three quartrers, and dispise you for it. Don't ever think that the Gogly will ever make their peace with the likes of you and me!

>There is a long liberal religious tradition in America that sought balance
>between secular government and tolerance for religion as a vital part of
>peoples lives.

Tolerance is fine. I have worked happily with religious activists for years. Most of them, including the ministers, are actually atheists whethet they acknowledge it or not. I am happy to let the ones who aren't wallow in their irrationality. Sometimes it produces beautiful poetry and admirable motivations.

The hardline secular position just drives those folks into
>the arms of the fanatic religious minority.

Nah. The fanatics have no appeal to anyone who might work with us. And my "hardline" secularism just amounts to this: bo govt support for religion (or irreligion). No establishment. I don't ask for a rollback of the tax exemptions. I don't expect the public to vote for atheists. I don't, that is, expect tolerance for secularism, which is the other side of this coin, a small point that you have forgotten. But I don't ask that. I just want to keep the govt out of the business of encouraging, supporting, and subsidizing religion. Religion does just fine on its own, alas.