Alterman on Chomsky

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Jun 21 09:32:58 PDT 2002

Hi,

I had to go back and dig up my box of research to answer this.

See below:

Cohn is certainly not worth consulting, his work is simply a vendetta. Most of the other critics who claim that Chomsky's anti-Zionism is linked somehow to a presumption of antisemitism also seem to ignore the available evidence.

As for Vidal-Naquet, better research but still flawed. As Chomsky points out, there is plenty of evidence in his (Chomsky's)work that he abhors the Nazi genocide and opposes antisemitism. Vidal-Naquet makes a number of assumptions that just don't pan out under scrutiny, especially his assumptions about Chomsky's motives. But Vidal-Naquet is grasping at several points I think I make better in my article, and in several paragraphs his complaints are justified, but seldom his overbroad conclusions about what Chomsky is "really" up to.

-Chip