Plato - querry on lit

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 22 08:18:29 PDT 2002

George Thompson, _The First Philosophers_ is extremely interesting but profoundly flawed. Marx's first published work was on Arisotle, and there's a recent commentary on that, but I forget where just now. And I forget what Marx's article was -- I think it was a translation with commentary but that may be quite wrong.

Looking up the names of Arisotle & Plato in the indexes to Marx's works will lead you to a lot of interesting fragmentary comments. There was an article a few years ago in _Monthly Review_ on the reactionary direction of stoic thought.

I'm afraid the answer to your question is "There is no such animal." I too would be greatly interested in finding out I was wrong. You mostly have to read first-rate 'bourgeois' histories and bring your own progressive perception to them.

Carrol