The Chomsky Documentation Project

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Jun 22 08:39:09 PDT 2002

Yes. But here the--bizarre--accusation is of both incompetence and evilitude. You can try to explain strange and bad things that happen as the result of incompetence. You can try to explain them as the result of evilitude. But by the time you need *both* incompetence and evilitude, you've gone a bridge or two too far...

And I still want to know what the "cynical reasons" were supposed to be? Back in the 1993 the "Realpolitiker" faction on the National Security Council was desperate for Murka to keep its nose *out* of the Balkans--for the Yurpeens to handle it as they see fit--for six Realpolitikisch reasons:

1. Sticking our noses into the Balkans might--vastly--mess up our--much more important--relations with the Russians.

2. Sticking our noses into the Balkans might lose us New Democrat types votes as Murkan soldiers died.

3. Sticking our noses into the Balkans might lose us New Democrat types votes as Murkan soldiers anxious not to die wasted Balkan civilians.

4. Sticking our noses into the Balkans would disrupt army training schedules and reduce army (but,curiously enough, not marine) readiness.

5. Sticking our noses into the Balkans would cost money, and any extra money we could find needed to be spent on domestic initiatives so that we could open at least a small amount of daylight between "New Democrat" and "Eisenhower Republican".

6. An imperial power can enforce peace in a peripheral reason only if all the thugs-with-guns in the region think that the imperial power has a *long* memory and never forgets an insult. Everyone in the world knows that the Murka has a short memory, and that consistency of foreign policy is unlikely given that foreign policy's principal use is as a domestic political football. Hence Murka sticking its nose into the Balkans is unlikely to improve matters.

Against these Realpolitiker arguments made by the Realpolitikisch faction, there was only the counterargument that--maybe--Murka could, by intervening, keep a few more people from getting shot or exiled by Milosevic, Tudjman, and company.

All in all, I'm still amazed we went into the Balkans in the 1990s: the cynical great power arguments of the Realpolitikisch faction seemed damned convincing at the time. Moreover, they may well have been right. I don't have a good enough counterfactual vision of what would have happened otherwise had Murka kept its nose out.

Brad DeLong