Re; Reading List

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 22 10:54:30 PDT 2002

Doug Dowd, " THE TWISTED DREAM: CAPITALIST DEVELOPMENT IN THE UNITED STATES SINCE 1776." Great introduction to radical thought and history. Ranges over Sweezy, Wallerstein, Kolko, C.W. Mills and many others.. And extensive annotated bibliographies.

Books by Doug Dowd ... Dowd has tried very hard to make this book as readable for the layman as possible, there is little jargon, and every attempt has been ... The Twisted Dream ... http://www.vaivecchio.com/NewFiles/booksmain.html

Plus great poems like this preface each chapter.

Shine, Perishing Republic by Robinson Jeffers

While this America settles in the mould of its vulgarity, heavily thickening

to empire And protest, only a bubble in the molten mass, pops and sighs out, and the

mass hardens, I sadly smiling remember that the flower fades to make fruit, the fruit rots

to make earth. Out of the mother; and through the spring exultances, ripeness and deca-

dence; and home to the mother.

You making haste haste on decay: not blameworthy; life is good, be it stub-

bornly long or suddenly A mortal splendor: meteors are not needed less than mountains:

shine, perishing republic. But for my children, I would have them keep their distance from the thick-

ening center; corruption Never has been compulsory, when the cities lie at the monster's feet there

are left the mountains. And boys, be in nothing so moderate as in love of man, a clever servant,

insufferable master. There is the trap that catches noblest spirits, that caught--they say--

God, when he walked on earth.

Michael Pugliese