RES: Gorbachev on Lenin and NEP

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sat Jun 22 14:24:30 PDT 2002

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de Joe R. Golowka Enviada em: sabado, 22 de junho de 2002 14:10 Para: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Assunto: Re: Gorbachev on Lenin and NEP

They could have just raised grain prices.

-Yes, this was already tried in 1923, when there was the first scissor -crisis. But it wouldn?t help too much as far as industrialization was -of concern. To promote industrialization, a certain degree of -expropriation of peasant?s excedents was necessary. This could -be acomlished anyway.

> So there is no point
> -in saying USSR would be better had NEP policies been kept
> -after 1928. Instead I would believe the situation would evolve
> -(1) to capitalist restoration or (2) to a huge economic crisis
> -(not discarding a combination of 1 and 2).

(1) had already happened by 1928 (and was solidified by the five year plans)

-I didn?t understand your point here

and (2) eventually happened anyway.

-This is right. But the final collapse of USSR seems to be related to other -variables, not only to forced collectivization/industrialization in the 30?s -(althought I wouldn?t heve the answers if you asked me what could be -done to avoid the USSR collapse)

Other alternatives to Stalin's policies within a bolshevik framework include the models applied in Tito's Yugoslavia and Mao's China.

-None of them particularly much better succeded than Stalin policies, were them?