Peruvian people prevail against privatization

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Mon Jun 24 22:59:32 PDT 2002

ODJ Peru Finance Min Says Won't Quit Over Privatization Delay

(Repeating story from earlier)

LIMA (Dow Jones)--Finance Minister Pedro Pablo Kuczynski said Friday he was frustrated at the suspension of the sale of two electricity generating companies, but that he has no thoughts of resigning.

On Wednesday, the government suspended the sale of state-owned Egasa and Egesur following days of rioting in southern Peru against privatizations.

"There was a reversal but there isn't a total negation of privatizations," he said on RPP radio.

Kuczynski, a former Miami-based money manager, said it would be irresponsible to leave the cabinet post he took over last July because of one setback.

"As long as I believe and my advisers believe there is a way to continue ahead in an organized manner then we will stay," Kuczynski said.

Reports said Friday that the head of government investment agency ProInversion, Ricardo Vega Llona, had quit.

That follows the resignation Wednesday of former Interior Minister Fernando Rospigliosi.

Both of those resignations were tied to the suspending of the sale of the two electricity companies.

-By Robert Kozak, Dow Jones Newswires; 511-221-7050; peru at dowjones.com

FSN46303 EOC CURRENCY ENERGY FINANCIAL STOCKS TOP 2002-06-21 14:57:17 UTC