Productivity, Longer work weeks, etc

kelley star.matrix at verizon.net
Tue Jun 25 23:07:33 PDT 2002

dearest LOB hosers,

I'm doing some research for an executive briefing, the opening of which will be on the "new economy" (technological innovation, perceived and real changes in the relationship between work/not work time, 'flex time', claims about productivity, etc).

I want to cite sources that these guys are going to buy (Fortune 50 execs and upper mgmt) That is, while I think EPIs treatment of flex time and avg hours worked/week is cool, I don't really want to cite EPI. ANyone know of material that says the same thing as EPI, but from an "acceptable" source?

this is what i've got so far, working outward:

on a surface skim: http://www.epinet.org/Issuebriefs/ib146.html http://us.ilo.org/news/prsrls/20010831_kilm.html http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/mb200107en.pdf

i don't need to go hog wild here. i'm just writing a basic overview as an intro/hook. the meat of this thing is really on VPNs and organizational sociology crap.

i thought of LOB, too, because I think Doug posted something about productivity stats awhile ago, something showing how they were bogus in so far as it's not clear that productivity is up b/c of technological innovation.

kelley