Elbaum's "Revolution in the Air"

tom terrell ras_t at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 26 16:12:28 PDT 2002

I just finished Max Elbaum's book on the New Communist Movement (NCM), "Revolution in the Air." Very impressive. I can't add much to other folks on the book itself but I'd like to turn them on to a very good "postscript" to "Revolution..." I found a very good article, "Prairie Fire: Rock Maoists," from Bad Subjects---a damned good progressive e-zine for those who haven't seen it. The author, Mat Callahan, is a former member of the Revolutionary Communist Party and an accomplished musician. Callahan's piece compliments Elbaum's specific observations about the RCP and further fleshes out what was (and IS) so terribly wrong with RCP and similar groups. I wish there were more such from-the-horses-mouth pieces by ex-New Communist Movement folk who, like Callahan, have maintained their humanist and activist commitments. The biggest tragedy about the NCM is that so damn many experienced activists were completely burned out and lost to activism permanently. Here tis: http://eserver.org/bs/56/callahan.html