Lightweights and Losers (Was: Sidney, Hilton, Cornel, etc.)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 26 18:40:25 PDT 2002

>Justin Schwartz wrote:
>
>>Fiest of all, West is perfectly able, if no heavyweight.
>
>Etc. Heavens, Justin, you're obsessed with rating and ranking people. I'm
>not innocent of snobbery myself, but there's something to be said for a
>more democratic spirit.
>
>Doug

It's probably an occupational hazard of my two professions, former (academic philosophy) and present (law). Actually I am not sure that there's anything so dreadfully wrong in getting an assessment of who's any good at what they do. In any case the question of his abilities came up. I said some very nice things about his work. I'd recommend his Marx book to all on the list, and his pragmatism book to anyone interested in the subject.

jks